Tuesday, December 8, 2009

New Year's Eve Party E-vite

For the past four years, I have designed a New Year's Eve Party e-vite for Jeff, a friend and colleague. This "e-vite" is basically a JPG image with all the info that he can attach to an email in order to get the word out. Known for going all out with their parties, every year Jeff gives me the theme and I try to come up with something appropriate to match. For the guests, it's a lot more fun to receive a designed invite attached to your e-mail, then a black and white bulleted list of the what, when, where and how.

In the past, the themes have ranged from masquerade ball to a redneck New Year's. Every year, they are a challenge to come up with some original and fun. I truly look forward to this project. And this year's theme: DISCO!!

I provided two versions:

1. In this vector based version, I used solid shapes, rays, stars and a silhouette of dancers typical of 70s disco artwork. I kept the color palette simple, yet bright. I also provided an alternate option of this version using an orange color palette, just in case the he didn't like the pink.


2. In this version, I used the iconic disco ball as the focus of the e-vite. Letting the image speak for itself, I kept it simple by only adding the words "DISCO FEVER" wrapped around the curvature of the ball. This darker composition gave the feel of a sophisticated night club with a 70s twist.


Jeff liked Version 1, but in the alternate orange color palette. But he also liked the use of the disco ball, especially because they planned on decorating their house with a bunch of them for the party. He requested that I find some way to incorporate the disco ball into this version.

With the disco ball added and a few minor copy revisions, we had our final e-vite:


Thanks again, Jeff! I hope you all have a groovy New Year's Bash!!

If you would like to learn more about e-vite design, please post or email me at kathy@katandmousedesign.com. Ask about e-vites with interactive hyperlinks!

1 comment:

  1. When you are throwing a big party there is something special about having a custom designed invitation. I think it really sets the party apart and gives the guests a sense of excitement and intrigue.

    Kathy is incredibly easy to work with. After a quick conversation about what you are looking for she is off to work developing versions for you to chose from. Also, given her many years of Ad Agency experience she is great at taking feedback. You don't have to worry about hurting feelings. She is happy to take feedback and make your vision come to life!

    I highly recommend Kathy for any of your design needs!

    ReplyDelete